What is Community-Based Research (CBR)?
CBR takes place in community settings, not laboratories or hospitals. CBR involves community members in the design and conduct of research. In CBR, the community is the “laboratory”.
What is the Community-Based Research Consult Service?
The Community-Based Research Consult Service was developed as part of the Clinical and Translational Science Collaborative (CTSC) of Case Western Reserve University. It is designed to assist faculty members, researchers, and community organizations in developing quality community-based research. All services are free and tailored to meet your specific needs.
The consult service has expertise in areas including, but not limited to:
- Research Project Development: Assistance in developing and designing research projects within your organization, agency, or academic setting.
- IRB Application Process: Assistance in completing and submitting an IRB application.
- Grants Assistance and Funding: Assistance in writing grant applications and locating grant funding sources.
- Survey Development and Refinement: Assisting in developing and/or refining pre-existing data collection tools.
- Needs Assessment: Examining whether or not your organization is adequately meeting the needs of the population being served.
- Data Collection: Assistance in collecting data, data input and analysis, report writing, and database development.
- Program Evaluation: Assessing the progression in achieving your program’s established goals and objectives.
- Best Practices: Helping your organization identify and adopt best practices.
- Focus Group Development: Assistance in developing focus groups and in identifying potential focus group participants.
- Recruitment Strategies: Assistance in identifying the most appropriate recruitment strategies for your research needs.
- Dissemination of Findings: Assistance in disseminating research findings to the community
How to obtain a consult and what to expect:
You may schedule a consult by contacting one of the consult team members. Upon arrival, you will meet with our consult team to discuss your project. Following the meeting, a meeting summary, including key points and recommended next steps will be sent to you. We will work and meet with you throughout the project as needed.
If interested in learning more about how we can assist you or to schedule a consult, please contact:
Katrice D. Cain, MA
Program Development Manager